Carl Gustaf Spens was a grandson of James Spens of Wormiston. He studied at the universities of Uppsala, Leiden and Utrecht before volunteering into the Livregiment in 1700. He became an ensign the same year and a lieutenant in 1701. Spens quit Swedish service on 22 December 1707 and became a gentleman of the Bedchamber in the service of the Duke of Holstein-Gottrop. He died in Stockholm on 16 January 1751 and is buried in Floda Kyrka in Södermanland. He married Beata Oxenstierna and Beata Ribbing.
Riksarkivets ämnessamlingar. Personhistoria https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0073861_00127#?c=&m=&s=&cv=126&xywh=890%2C1534%2C5390%2C3109
A. Lewenhaupt, Karl XII:s Officerare Biografiska anteckningar (2 vols., Stockholm, 1920), II, p.645.
- SWEDEN, LIVREGIMENT
- Arrived 1700-01-01, as VOLUNTEER
- Departed 1707-12-22, as LIEUTENANT
- Capacity OFFICER, purpose MILITARY
- HOLSTEIN-GOTTROP, COURT
- Arrived 1708-01-01, as GENTLEMAN OF THE CHAMBER
- Departed 1721-05-29, as MARSHAL OF THE COURT, HOVMARSKALK
- Capacity ROYAL SERVANT, purpose ROYAL SERVICE
- SWEDEN, UPPSALA, UTRECHT, LEIDEN
- Departed 1699-12-21
- Capacity STUDENT, purpose ACADEMIC